Monday 28 November 2011

Johor...Southern Love

I'm proud to be a Johorean. My family is actually a 'rojak' family.

Mum's side is pure jawa. My late great grandma came directly from java. She has a pure jawa accent whenver she converses in bahasa to us. My grandparents call each other by their jawa names 'wak ngok'. And they always speak bahasa jawa early in the morning during breakfast. I call my granduncles and grand aunts 'tok wak'. I.e 'tok wak singerpore, tok wak skudai, tok wak kluang' and etc. Basically i call them 'tok wak' and whereever they're located. I don't even know their real name. My late great grand ma was called 'tok yot' or 'boyot' which literally means great grandma in jawa.

Now dad's side, my late grand dad is bugis, and my grand ma is of chinese heritage. I don't really know dad's family history because I'm not close to them, and dad never talks about it to us.

The great thing about going back to Johor, is that both my grand parents are next door neighbours. How my parents met, I'll never know. It's still a mystery to us. Hahaha....

Okay enough of my family.

Let's talk about the language of Johor.
Unlike other states in Malaysia, we johorean don't have a distinguish slang. We have certain words that other states don't use. I.e.

-Geboh: blanket
-Gerobok/robok: cupboard.

Our food:
Goreng pisang cicah with sambal kicap or condensed milk.
Goreng keledek, goreng sukun, goreng keladi is all eaten dengan sambal kicap.
Nasi briyani gam. Only true johoreans know how to cook this.
Laksa johor.
Kacang pool.
Sambal goreng. And many more.

Our unique dance and music:
The zapin and ghazal. Oh and kuda kepang also. Haha...

Our royal Sultan is: Tunku Sultan Ibrahim.
He was announced sultan after the late sultan passed away earlier last year.
One thing about the Johorean royal family is that, we Johorean have one hot sexy prince: Tunku Ismail.
Hahaha....forget about Prince Harry and Prince William. We have one hot prince here.

I read somewhere, 'you can go out of Johor, but you can never bring the johor out of you.'

Which is true. Am proud to be a johorean. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio